Sunday, March 6, 2011

On Laughter

Laughter. An amazing behavior, one we demonstrate well before we learn to speak. There are thousands of languages and tens of thousands of dialects we humans speak. Even so, we all laugh nearly the same way. And while we're not alone -- chimpanzees, gorillas, orangutans, dogs and even rats laugh -- laughter is one of the most endearing ways to communicate pure human emotion.
Never have more children than you have car windows. Erma Bombeck

Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public. H. L. Mencken

The day I made that statement, about inventing the Internet, I was tired because I'd been up all night inventing the Camcorder. Al Gore

Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die. Mel Brooks
Laughter is a powerful drug. It can reduce pain, increase hopefulness (both due, in part, to the release of endorphins), create friendships, disarm adversaries, reduce tension, increase joy, and when experienced for an extended period of time, tighten one's abs not unlike an extended workout in the gym. Without the need for special clothing or a monthly membership fee.
Any girl can be glamorous. All you have to do is stand still and look stupid. Hedy Lamarr

Behind every successful man is a surprised woman. Maryon Pearson

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before. Mae West

I love to go to Washington -- if only to be near my money. Bob Hope
Freud theorized that laughter releases tension and psychic energy and, in turn, promotes health. John Morreall, the philosopher, believed that human laughter may have its biological origins as a kind of shared expression of relief at the passing of danger. Nietzsche, though, considered laughter to be a reaction to the sense of existential loneliness and mortality that only humans feel. Think Nietzsche knew Charlie Sheen?
Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died. Anonymous

Cleanliness becomes more important when godliness is unlikely. P. J. O'Rourke

Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country. Steven Wright

People always ask me, 'Were you funny as a child?' Well, no, I was an accountant. Ellen DeGeneres
Regardless, it feels good to laugh. Actually, it can feel great to laugh. Releasing, exhausting, uplifting. The true outcome of a good laugh: Happiness, even euphoria, at least temporarily. And don't forget those tightened abs!
After 12 years of therapy, my psychologist said something that brought tears to my eyes, 'No hablo ingles.' Anonymous

I am not afraid of death, I just don't want to be there when it happens. Woody Allen

I bought some batteries, but they weren't included. Steve Wright

I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food. W.C. Fields
Indeed, there's nothing quite like a really good, from-the-soul, tears-in-the-eyes, nose-leaking, can't-quite-catch-one's-breath, belly-aching, hang-on-for-dear-life laugh. Laughter that comes when you truly let go of all inhibitions, not worrying about what's right and what's proper or how you look. Laughter that has you reaching to touch someone -- to connect to someone -- to share the sheer joy of the moment. Or to avoid falling. Laughter that's contagious, that causes others to go there with you. Laughter that's so good it hurts.

Yes, that kind of laughter.
I don't have a bank account because I don't know my mother's maiden name. Paula Poundstone

I don't think anyone should write their autobiography until after they're dead. Samuel Goldwyn

I have a new philosophy. I'm only going to dread one day at a time. Charles M. Schulz

I intend to live forever. So far, so good. Steven Wright
The problem, as we see it, is that we laugh -- really laugh -- far too infrequently.
I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw that my bath toys were a toaster and a radio. Joan Rivers

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular? Anonymous

I never said most of the things I said. Yogi Berra

It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man. H. L. Mencken
If true, why? Might it be that we've been taught, as we grow, that laughter is somehow unrefined, signifying a simplistic and, possibly, crude reaction to life? That laughter is childish and, worse, immature? That to laugh in anything but a controlled, 'dignified' manner is inappropriate? That laughing can be wrong, given the context or setting? That one must think before one laughs so as to be sensitive to others? That one shouldn't laugh at someone but with someone? That there is nothing to laugh at, especially during these turbulent times?

All possible reasons. And all garbage.

We say laugh! Laugh hard. Laugh often. Laugh alone. Laugh with others. Laugh while showering. Laugh in the car, on the bus, on the train. Laugh at work -- especially at work. Laugh while cooking. Laugh while eating with a mouthful of food. Laugh until you cry. Laugh until you cause laughter in others. And then laugh some more.
Two things are infinite: The universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

How many roads must a man walk down before he admits he's lost? Anonymous

I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes. Anonymous

Just remember, if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off. Anonymous
Consider laughter -- real laughter -- an essential part of your daily diet. It's as important as air, water and stuffed cabbage. You'll live, sleep and love better. And, importantly, it will revitalize your soul and tighten your abs. No therapist or personal trainer required.
He who laughs last didn't get it. Anonymous

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Anonymous
Right.

No comments:

Post a Comment